Purpose. We all have it. Maybe we all want it. Or maybe yours is there but you aren’t ready to look for it.
In any event purpose is not an easy thing to define. How can we find our purpose if we don’t know what ‘purpose’ is. So let’s break it down. Purpose is part mission, parts passion, part profession, and part vocation. The rest is drilling down and asking yourself some really hard questions like
- What inspires you most?
- What needs repairing in the world?
- What makes you smile?
- What makes you lose track of time?
- What makes you feel great about yourself?
- What are you naturally good at?
- What do people ask you for help with?
- What do you want to learn?
Can your answers change over time? Absolutely. The point is to keep asking yourself the questions and being open to your honest answers.
If you are traveling and have a rout mapped out but find something interesting along the way, you change course and learn something new. It doesn’t necessarily change the destination, it just enriches the journey.